Consumer Lending Lawyer
Canada - Remote
We are currently seeking Consumer Lending Lawyers to to work with Canada’s largest in-house financial and banking institutions.
Working with and advising business clients directly to provide comprehensive legal counsel on a range of regulatory and transactional matters concerning payments systems and services for a large financial institution, including card issuing, ACH payments, mobile payments, card schemes and payment networks, gift cards, B2B payments, and other emerging payment systems.
- Drafting, negotiating and executing cards/payments documentation, marketing client facing materials including Terms and Conditions, and contracts relating to the full practical legal advice and support on business matters in a dynamic environment.
- Review compliance programs and provide strategic counsel on Bank of Canada Act, Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), and other provincial, federal and international regulations.
- Collaborate with the internal business, legal, and compliance teams to analyze and interpret proposed payment related legislation and regulations (both domestic and international) and their effect on current or pending products.
- Assist with a variety of complex transactions within the consumer finance sector, including complex lending transactions.
- Provide counsel on payments systems and services and draft related documentation.
- 4+ years of consumer lending experience in the financial services industry with an understanding of bank business lines and operation units.
- Experience advising on bank regulatory matters and compliance as it relates to secured and unsecured lending transactions, including experience advising on Financial Consumer Protection Framework.
- Experience working in-house or in-firm advising banks, financial institutions or payments related corporations.
- Experience drafting and reviewing commercial loan transactions, loan document negotiations, loan structuring, and various lending documentations.
Experience providing legal support and analysis on a range of payments related matters including: merchant acquiring, card issuing, mobile payments, ACH payments, B2B payments, and other emerging payment systems
Excellent practical understanding of Bank of Canada Act, Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), and other provincial, federal and international regulations.
- Member in good standing with your respective Law Society.
Compensation, Benefits & Location:
This role offers competitive compensation and a highly competitive benefits package in the alternative legal services marketplace, that includes Medical, dental, and more. Axiomites also get access to professional development resources and learning and development programs. Axiomites predominately work remotely, with the exception that some clients require on-site presence.
Axiom is the global leader in high-caliber, on-demand legal talent. Covering North America, the UK, Europe, and APAC, we enable legal departments to drive efficiency and growth and meet the demands of today’s business landscape with best in breed alterative legal services.
Axiom is a leader in diversity, inclusion, and social engagement. Diversity is core to our values and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to be named a best place to work for LGBTQ+ Equality, earning top marks in the 2021 Corporate Equality Index for the second consecutive year. Axiom’s legal department is Mansfield certified and is committed to considering at least 50% diverse candidates for leadership roles and outside counsel representation.
Learn more about working at Axiom.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Axiom ensures equal employment opportunity in recruitment and employment, without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, nationality, national or ethnic origin, religious creed or belief, political opinion, sex, gender reassignment, pregnancy or maternity, age, disability, alienage or citizenship status, marital (or civil or other partnership recognized by law) status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation, military service, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Axiom prohibits and will not tolerate any such discrimination or harassment.
Axiom will accommodate persons with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and in accordance with the Human Rights Code. Accommodation for applicants with disabilities can be provided at each stage of the recruitment process. If you have a disability and require accommodation to complete the application form, please contact us at email@example.com. In addition, if you are invited to participate in an interview stage, please inform us if you require special accommodation at the time of your invitation for an interview.
Axiom respects your privacy. For an explanation of the kind of information we collect about you and how it is used, our full privacy notice is available at https://www.axiomlaw.com/privacy-notice.
Employment with Axiom may be contingent upon successful completion of a background check, providing proof of identity, and possessing the necessary legal authorization to work.
By submitting an application, you acknowledge that all information contained therein, and provided at any part of the application process, is correct and accurate to the best of your knowledge.